Gondia police are probing whether they died of suffocation due to poisonous gas inside the well or electrocution. This will become clear after receiving the autopsy report, said police.
Police sources said the motor pump in the domestic well of one Khemraj Sathaone in Sarandi had developed a snag. At around 9.30am, Khemraj first descended into the well to repair it. Even after a long time he did not come out. So, his neighbour Sachin Bhongade went down. He too did not come out, said police.
Then, two more people, Prakash Bhongade and Mahendra Raut, also went into the well to rescue them. They both also died on the spot. Sarandi villagers informed Tiroda police and officials from MSEDCL. Hundreds of villagers gathered at the spot.
Prime facie police said that all four died of electrocution. “We have sent the bodies to Gondia civil hospital for post mortem,” said the police and stated that investigation has already been initiated to ascertain how they died.