A six-year-old girl died of electrocution after she came in contact with an electricity pole near a house in Indapur town of Pune district on Thursday evening. Police have registered an offence of causing death by negligence against concerned officials.
The police have identified the deceased as Kulsum Haidar Mushahidi, a resident of Maligalli in Indapur town of Pune district. The incident took place a few meters away from her house around 6.30 pm on Thursday.
Officials from Indapur police station under Pune Rural jurisdiction said that Kulsum was playing with her siblings and friends when she accidentally came in contact with a box on the electricity pole. She was rushed to a nearby hospital where she was pronounced dead. Sometime after the death, a large number of people met the officials at the Indapur police station demanding filing of charges against the officials responsible.
Inspector Dilip Pawar, in-charge of Indapur police station, said, “We have registered an offence of causing death due to negligence against concerned officials. We are yet to identify exactly which were responsible. Probe is on. A report from electrical inspectors will be sought.”
Police said that the role of the officers from the Maharashtra Electricity Distribution Company Ltd and Indapur Municipal Council will be investigated.
This is the third such incident in the last two weeks. On June 24, a 30-year-old man working as a painter died of electrocution after he came in contact with a wire fence of a residential society in Kondhwa when he had stopped taking shelter during showers. On June 26, a 16-year-old school student died of electrocution after he came in contact with a wire fence between two buildings in the Shivane area of Pune.